Monday, May 18, 2009

Memorial Day

Monday is Memorial Day and as we all gear up for the big holiday weekend, I encourage everyone to take a moment and remember why we celebrate.

This holiday is a day to remember all those who have sacrificed to create, defend, and protect our country. We remember our heroes. We remember all those that have worked in quiet anonymity to ensure our safety and to provide us with all of the rights and privileges, that we too often take for granted. It is a time to stop and thank those people in your life who served in the armed forces, for their contribution. It is a time to remember those that have lost their lives for our freedoms. It is a time to offer a prayer for all those who have been injured. It is a time to stop and thank the families of our service members.

My life has been blessed by many members of the armed forces, both friends and family, serving in every branch of the military. I am grateful everyday for their contributions, and that they were returned home after completing their service without serious injury or death. But as I give thanks for my blessings I am aware of the harsh reality that not all families are as fortunate.

This Memorial Day, I am asking all of my friends & family to visit www.TweettoReMIND.org and donate $5.25 to support all our returning service men and women. Their goal is to raise $1.65 million by Memorial Day - that is $1 for every soldier who has served since 9/11. Tweet to ReMIND was created by the Bob Woodruff Foundation's ReMIND.org which is helping our service men and women get the support they need to reintegrate when they return home.

Please take a moment to remember our heroes - and the heroes in your life. Then head over to www.TweettoReMIND.org and give $5.25 as a thank you gift. Help me help Tweet to ReMIND reach their goal. If you Twitter please follow TweettoReMind, ReTweet and share their message with your family & friends.

My heroes:

Eddie - my Grandfather who served in the Navy, was at Pearl Harbor and fought in WWII. He is the greatest man I have ever known and my son is his namesake.

Vincent - my son's Godfather who enlisted in the Air Force despite the fact that we are a country at war.

Shawn - my cousin-in-law that left his family this past Sunday to be deployed to Afghanistan with his National Guard unit.

All of the other members of my family and all of my friends who have served and are still serving. I am grateful for your courage and commitment.

All of the men and women who have and are serving our country and their families. You have my eternal gratitude and are remember in my prayers.



No comments: